Friday, January 29, 2010

What is this world coming to ? LOL

I'm a big fan of the TV real estate shows like Property Virgins, My First Home, etc. Maybe I wasn't watching before with full attention but lately I've noticed something that makes me roll my eyes and sigh.

John and Jane are currently own a 2 bedroom 1 bath apartment and due to Jane being pregnant they need to find a bigger house. They are approved for $350,000.00 and have a down payment of $5,000 for a total of $355,000 to play with. John is a teacher and Jane works part time until the baby comes.

NOW.....here is the first problem for me......no way in heck can they afford the mortgage that a $355,000 house would have ! Not on a teacher's salary and a part-time job that Jane will be quitting! I hear this young couple say "the mortgage broker says we can afford it, and he does this for a living, so he must know." .....AARRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH ! Seriously ! No wonder the economy went into the toilet ! I often scream at the TV "The guy is looking for a commission ! He doesn't give a fig about you ! He is clueless what you can afford !"....but they never listen lol.

The second problem is that....and this might be a generational thing.......why do you need more bedrooms and baths than there are people in the house ?! Honestly, one couple and one baby can easily live in a 2 bedroom/1 bath house ! Heck, many of us grew up 2 or 3 kids to a room ! Over and over the shows show a 3 person family saying they need "more room" and look for 4-5 bedroom/ 2-3 bath homes ! Really !

Is it a sign of this generation ? How did they get this way ? Why can't someone snap them into reality ? LOL

I'd stop watching but I love seeing the houses...........
Guess I'm a glutton for punishment ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Yup, common issue... or even people who want these big huge houses and plan on having NO kids, just say they need the room for the "dog" (not even plural usually). I think it is just that selfish nature that was allowed to foster growing up to where now they feel "entitled"... from over priced mortgages to welfare checks, this country has a huge issue with "entitlement".

    ReplyDelete